May 19

My Homestay Experience| Weekly Post #55

“”by clothfairy is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Hello everyone.

Apart of my Japan Study Tour, I got to experience “living” in Japan (with hmskarli) with a student from HMS’s sister school, Keiai. 

After visiting their elementary school, we drove to the middle school and stuffed our big suitcase into a small room. You had to take off your shoes and wear these green slippery slippers. It was hard to walk up the stairs espcially when you’re wearing socks. After almost falling off the stairs multiple times, we sat in a library with all our extra stuff for about fifteen minutes. At about 1:00, our host families came to pick us up. 

A little story (you can skip this): Since I had a heavy duffle bag full of omiyage, my friend hmsreise offered to carry my bag. Being super excited, I totally forgot about that bag, so when my host parents were packing my bags into the car, my classmates reminded me that I forgot it. I had to run back and take off my shoes, not wearing the green slippery slippers. I finally got my luggage and then I tripped on the stairs going outside. 🙂

We drove to a street market in, I think, Kokura. I tried oden for the first time and the fried tofu was super good. I was super full and then we ate ic cream. They gave us a lot of food after lunch like takoyaki and watermelon. After all of that, we went home to prepare for the banquet. I had to wear a white shirt and a pink paku (I’m not sure if that’s how you spell it but it’s a Hawaiian skirt).

The stage was super small that I almost fell off when we were doing our hula. There were more people than I excepted which made me more nervous, but I thought we did really well.

After the performance, we went home. I was super tired and so I took a shower. The bathrooms are really different than the ones in the US. The shower is not connected to the tub. It kind of works like an onsen. 

The next day, we went to Kokura, Ichiran, and Shinamura. It was kind of cool because we took the train there. Kokura is mostly shops as I mentioned before. Ichiran is a ramen store which I think whenever you go to Japan, you should visit. It’s so good, you cannot miss it.  Shinamura is basically a Japanese version of ROSS. 

Then we went home and that was everything I did during my homestay. I really enjoyed it and my host family took really good care of me and hopefully, I see them again. Bye! ❤︎

Links:

A Guide to Fukuoka

Keiai Junior High School

Kokura Castle 

Posted May 19, 2019 by hmssarah in category Weekly Posts
Hope You Enjoyed The Post! :)